All services available in both French and English  
Mercury is an odourless and non-flammable silver-white heavy metal that is liquid at room temperature. Mercury is used in pure form in thermometers, barometers, and other consumer products. Batteries containing mercury are used in devices ranging from guided missiles and space craft to hearing aids, calculators and toys. Mercury is found in electric lamps and fluorescent light tubes. Prior to 1990, mercury was added to paints as an anti-mildew agent, antibacterial agent, and fungicide. Mercury is also used in pigments, refining, lubrication oils, and dental amalgams.
Mercury, in both inorganic and organic forms, is toxic to humans. Inhalation of mercury vapours can cause shakiness, tremors, memory loss and a loss of respiratory function as a result of severe pulmonary tissue damage. Ingestion of mercury can cause cardiovascular dysfunction, acute renal failure, and severe gastrointestinal damage.
         Regulatory Requirements 
Currently, there are no regulations pertaining to mercury on construction projects. Industrial processes involving mercury are regulated under the Ontario Occupational Health & Safety Act, R.S.O. 1990, Regulation 844 as amended by O.Reg. 110/04, Designated Substance – Mercury. A guideline, “The Safe Handling of Mercury: A Guide for the Construction Industry” was published by the Occupational Health and Safety Branch of the Ontario Ministry of Labour in 1991.
Mercury waste is classified as hazardous waste. The transport of the waste to the disposal site is controlled by the federal Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act, 1992.